Since April, Ed, Lee, Reese, Chuck, Jesse, Shawn and Arron have been laboring to restore the undercarriage of the Mill at Freedom Falls (c. 1834). The crew faced a number of obstacles: one corner of the building had dropped more than 10 inches out of level, and a stream that once powered the turbine still runs between the granite walls of the foundation. Stabilization of the structure required building staging around and on top of the works of the turbine, 16-20 feet above the rushing water. After stabilizing the building and the cutting the repairs, the crew was tasked with installing 12″ x 16″ hemlock timbers of lengths up to 22 feet over this:
Check back soon for more photos of Freedom.